Sunday, March 18, 2012

Day #41 - Habits

Our sermon at church today was about habits... Good and bad. We obviously have the habit to be in God's Word, to be prayerful, at church on Sunday. Pastor wanted us to realize that this should be a daily, all the time, thing.

I can say that I pray way more often than I ever have. I have learned to at least think about God before I make a big decision or say something ridiculous. I'm working on being the wife, and mother, that the Bible teaches me to be.

Even with all that... I'm strides behind where I'd like to be.

I want to leave everything up to God and place everything in His hands, but when He doesn't do things exactly the way I want them done I grow frustrated. When I feel like we're being led in a certain direction, but then things don't work out as quickly as I'd like, I get angry. When people that I love hurt, I have a tendency to want to fix it without consulting Him.

My habit is to gripe, grumble, complain, decide "I'll do it myself".

Our Old Testament reading today was from Numbers. In looking at Michael's bible tonight, it offers this "theme and message":
Numbers relates the story of Israel's journey from Mount Sinai to the plains of Moab on the border of Canaan. It tells of the murmuring and rebellion of God's people and of their subsequent judgment. They were condemned to live out their lives in the desert; only their children would enjoy the fulfillment of the promise that had originally been theirs. Throughout the years in the desert, one thing became clear to Israel -- God's constant care for them. Not only did he meet their needs, but he also loved and forgave his people continually. (emphasis in blue mine)

It's human nature to want more, to voice our gripes, to complain away. We are all sinful beings. But those, those are all bad habits.

Even in my personal time of repentance this morning in church, my selfishness showed through...

I have a plan for my week. I'm going to focus on forming more good habits. I've made a decision to start my day in prayer and end it the same way. I'm going to pray every time I get into my car to go somewhere and every time I reach my destination. I want to thank God for my trials and for my conquests.

It's the least I can do.

He's got enough to worry about without my whining.

Blessings
401. A healthy family
402. Grilling out yesterday in the marvelous weather
403. Our girls reciting the Old Testament books of the Bible with their Sunday school classes at church today
404. Time for personal repentance and absolution
405. God's forgiveness
406. Our church home
407. A "different" type of service this morning
408. Exploring all parts of the Lutheran Service Book
409. Knowing I am never alone
410. Girl Scout cookies from outside of Walmart
411. Our well-behaved girls at a packed Wendy's
412. A quiet evening with Madeline
413. Our one mile walk
414. Sweating while outdoors in March
415. Miko taking the 2 big girls fishing
416. Lauren's first fish
417. The excitement they showed when they got home
418. Miko's patience in taking both of them
419. All 3 of them looking forward to the next fishing trip
420. Tired girls after their baths, ready for bed

No comments:

Post a Comment