Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day #32 - Is It Me?

Last night on the way home from meeting up with a friend for some chit-chat, I was flipping through channels on the radio. Now let me tell you, it’s not very often that I get the opportunity to “channel surf” on the radio. The vast majority of the time, as in most every single time, as in I can probably count on my one hand how often in the last 6 months it’s been any other way, I have company when I travel. That means, I’m listening to Christian radio… or a Disney DVD.

So as I scanned stations, I came across a Kenny Chesney song. And I turned it up. And then I turned it up louder. And then even louder. And I danced in my seat. And I sang at the top of my lungs. And I loved every. single. minute. of. it. It brought back some great memories. It caused a little longing for a vacation, in Mexico. But it was fun. And it was me.

It. Was. Me.

I’ve always been a big music fan. You name it, at one time or another, I’ve probably liked it. I’ve been to a ton of concerts, ranging from country to r & b to alternative to oldies. In fact, I’d say that music is my “thing”.

It really got me thinking… Have I lost sight of my “thing”?

I also really enjoy decorating. I like making my home look nice, while working with little to no money. That’s actually the part I like the best. Thrifty decorating is another one of my “things”. I love finding a deal, or better yet, a steal and making it my own. I enjoy painting furniture and turning it into something one of a kind that my family can get some use out of.

Michael and I purchased an entire bedroom set – headboard and footboard, tall dresser, and longer dresser with a  mirror – all for $20 at a garage sale before we were married. It was HIDEOUS, but I sanded it, primed it, and painted it. It’s now yellow with pink polka dots and Kate absolutely loves it! It totally fits her too.

I love crafty, fun, artistic projects.

I also haven’t been doing much of any of that lately.

I know that having little children is just this season of my life… I know that one day I’ll look back and long to have these days back (or so I’ve been told)… And in no way do I wish this time away. I love my life with my toddlers. I love being a mommy.

But I also love me. I love singing to music at the top of my lungs. I love being covered in paint and looking back at something that was someone else’s trash that I’ve turned into a treasure.

I think I miss me… The old me… The fun, careless, free-spirited, worry-free me…

And I know that she’s not coming back to stay any time soon.

But I’d sure like her to visit more often.

Maybe I’ll start looking for some concert tickets.

Blessings

291. Alone time in the car
292. Music that can take me back
293. Music that can remind me of how far I’ve come
294. An entire grocery shopping trip with no children breakdowns
295. Breakfast for dinner
296. 3 bathed baby girls
297. Constant change
298. Predictability
299. The little things
300. Reminders of God’s greatness in my children’s eyes

1 comment:

  1. It's like we blink our eyes, and the old us is gone. I'm so far into it, I almost don't remember what the old me did for fun. (I'm pretty sure it wasn't playing PlayDoh!)

    ReplyDelete