Monday, December 12, 2011

Day #26 - Over Commited?

I've been doing quite a bit of thinking about the commitments of life...

I am committed to being a follower of God, a wife, a mother, a member of our church, a friend, a sister, a daughter, an aunt, an in-law, an extended family member, a citizen, and even a home owner. I'm sure I've even missed a few...

If I just focus on what it means to be a committed wife (to my husband, because I'm sure it's different for different husbands) I can formulate another entire list of commitments. I'm committed to being his lover, his best friend, his cheerleader, his supporter, his confidant, his shoulder to lean on and ear to listen, the mother of his children, his meal preparer and laundry washer... and this list goes on and on...

Being a mother involves another lengthy list, as does sister, daughter, friend, and so on...

All these commitments are a lot of work. They include pleasurable activities, and some not so wonderful things. I'd say they're all gratifying, although in quite different ways (some days I'd probably never admit that at all).

All that to say this - the single most important commitment I have is to God. I am a hearer of His word. I am working on being a disciple of the truth. I am committed to worship, to prayer, to repentance, and to accepting His forgiveness.

Everything else is hard work... being a child of God is easy. It just IS. I'm not saying that it's always easier to do the right thing, or that I no longer struggle. I've actually found it to be quite the opposite as I've talked about before... But because I AM a child of God, because I'm committed to doing the right thing as often as I can, everything else is falling into place.

I still struggle with fleshy desires. I always will. But I'm committed to working through that. I know I'll fall down, but He will pick me back up. I can't be defeated. I can't be silenced. I'm off and running with all my new found knowledge because I have a new center. I have a new focus. And I am committed to God.

Blessings
211. New found commitments
212. This Advent season
213. Good conversation
214. Healthy debates
215. Acceptance
216. Appreciation
217. Acknowledgement
218. Grace
219. Mercy
220. Understanding

No comments:

Post a Comment