Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day #6 - Reflection Can't Hurt

I've been doing a whole lot of reflecting today... Sometimes bad news seems to do that for me...

Heard from a friend about another pregnancy loss. Actually, not technically a loss as of this moment, but it is just a matter of time. These people have also lost a home in a house fire, this week! I don't know them personally, but in reading the prayer request email I received, I was literally brought to my knees...

The entire miserable sad story really got me thinking about my faith... And others faith... And really questioning things.

Michael and I believe in God. We want our children to grow up knowing that Jesus Christ lived and died for their sins. I am a spiritual person, although I have strayed from doing the "right thing" far more than I care to admit sometimes. I did not grow up in a church, or even in a home where God was discussed daily, weekly, or even monthly. I was baptised, but that was last year. Michael, on the other hand, was raised Lutheran, has been through cathecism and confirmation. But I'm sure if you asked him, he would tell you he definitely has not always done what God has expected of him. He was just invited to be in a Bible study and declined the invitation. (I haven't really discussed that with him, because I'm pretty sure we'd end up in a heated discussion and I'm not in the mood for that any time soon...)

I will admit that I'm one of those people that leans on God when it feels like the right thing to do... Usually not when things are going awesomely (not a word, I'm sure), not when things are just fair and normal and everyday...  A lot of the time, it's when things have gone terribly ary and I just don't know what else to do but "Let Go and Let God".

But we have been blessed. Michael and I are so extremely lucky! We have a wonderful family, 3 beautiful healthy little girls. He has an amazing job. A job that allows me to be a stay at home mom and raise my little darlings to be everything God has planned for them. Don't get me wrong, we've gone thru some stuff... I was a single parent, for almost a year, while Michael worked a job that had him traveling all week, every week. After we moved to Ohio and we had Lauren, I suffered from severe post-partum depression and Michael was working 70 hr work weeks for his plant start-up. We suffered through some family nonsense, just like most people I know. Somehow though, things always end up perfectly.

My pregnancies, none of the 3, were planned. They were all wonderful though, no complications, no problems during birth, not even any morning sickness. And of course, I hated most every minute of being pregnant. Did I pray then? Not a single time that I can think of, off the top of my head.

That brings me to today. The horrible news that brought me to tears and dropped me to my knees. I don't know the couple personally. The family members of theirs that I know, are very spiritual. (Actually, the person I received the email from is the reason why I am in a Bible study on Monday nights.) So, I'm assuming that the family is probably Christian... And I'll even go so far as to say I'd bet they're walking a bit closer with God than Michael and I do...

So WHY? Why does it seem like things like this happen to the people that you'd never expect them to? Why does God allow the people that worship Him the most to sometimes suffer the most? How do Michael and I seem to reap all the blessings and not do any of the up-front leg work? Why am I any more worthy of these beautiful little blessings I named Kate, Lauren, and Madeline than anyone else in the world that prays nightly for a miracle baby?

I think I have some praying to do...

2 comments:

  1. You keep praying...and I'll pray for you as well. You are not the only one who thinks this way from time to time, I promise! But I pray that God will draw both of you near, so as not to punish you in the future for a lack of faith. (Not that I think he would do that - but God does things at times that are hard to understand, and I pray that He will continue to watch over you, guide you and protect you.) You are a blessing in my life...even if you don't realize that yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness sweetheart that is a terribly sad story. It made me stop and think as well. I really never gave it much thought about not having raised you in a church or God being spoken about much, however, I do know that I tried to do the right things and teach the right things as I knew them at the time. Despite the times in our lives that were miserable and horrid, I always knew who was caring for us and carrying us. I still do. I am so grateful for the second, third and fourth chances we get in life. I serve an awesome God today. I know from my Bible studies that he covers you under the blood of Jesus because I am covered under the blood of Jesus. My children and grandchildren are always the first in my prayers. I can never undo the past but I can confess my sins out loud to my God and he has answered my requests over and over again. I have been blessed with the most beautiful children anyone could ever ask for and my grandbabies are so very precious to me. God has allowed me to borrow all of you for a time, a season and a reason. You are not mine,you are his children and on loan to me. Thank you Jesus. It is only through his grace and mercy that I have been allowed to have this beautiful opportunity of a lifetime. If I got what I deserved, it sure would not have been anything like this. Thank you for allowing me to be your mom and the girls fee gee. Jesus loves you and is with you always. Stay strong in your word and commitment to him..Michael will follow, just give him time. You may be the seed God planted into his life...he just doesn't recognize it yet. I love you my beautiful daughter and sister in God. I am so very proud of you for your love and dedication to your own life.
    Sometimes God allows bad things to happen to good people so that others who are watching and paying attention (as you obviously are) can see how others faith and perseverance and love for God carries them through the hardest most devastating life situations. Be strong and stay in love always. Mom

    ReplyDelete